Thursday, March 10, 2011

Caribbean Pork and Plantain Hash

As I stated before, I didn't take a hiatus from cooking, just blogging about it. I think I have at least 14 recipes stock-piled to show you, plus whatever I cook from here on out. My goal is to do this blog for the next 39 nights, along with cooking, life, work, homework, gym and whatever else is thrown my way. I hope it will kick me into the routine I need to keep this thing going.

Without further ado:

Ingredients
1tbsp low sodium soy sauce
3/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper (I probably used 1 tsp...you know how I like SPICE!)
1/8 tsp ground allspice
1 lb pork tenderloin trimmed and cut into 1/2" pieces
1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp butter
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 c chopped green pepper
2 large yellow plantains
1/2 tsp black pepper
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp hot pepper sauce (I used Franks Extra Hot)
2 tbsp chopped cilantro




(obviously these are my attempts at 'great' photography) 



1. In a large freezer bag, combine soy sauce, thyme, ginger, crushed red pepper, allspice and pork. Toss to coat.


2. Heat 1 1/2 tsp of oil in large nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Add pork mixture and saute 4 minutes or until done. Remove from pan.


3. Add 1 tbsp oil and butter to pan. Add onion, bell pepper, plantains and pepper. Cook for 6 min, stirring occasionally.





4. Stir in garlic; saute 2 min or until plantains are tender.



5. Drizzle with hot sauce. Serve (I served mine over jasmine rice) and top with cilantro. 







Serves 4
Calories: 384
Fat: 12.5 g (saturated, 4g)
Protein: 26.8g
Fiber: 4.7g
Cholesterol: 81 mg
Iron: 4.8 mg
Sodium: 674 mg
Calcium: 38 mg
Original recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment