Thursday, March 10, 2011

Chorizo, Chile & Chickpea Casserole

I'm pretty sure this cookbook is from a British author... maybe not, but it can't be an American author because some of the terms confuse me. For instance, as you will see at the end, this isn't a casserole, at least not the way I think of an American casserole. Any thoughts??

This dish was AMAZING. I can't wait to make it again. I made tons of leftovers and took them to work to share. My old co-worker, who is Puerto Rican, loved it. I offered it to other people too but they missed out. I'm not sure why they didn't grab up any because a lot of them said, "who is going to bring in good stuff now that you're leaving?" So, what did I do?? I brought in leftovers and hardly anyone ate...oh well, more for me and Carmen!
Ingredients

2 tbsp EVOO
1 onion, sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp chile flakes (crushed red pepper)
8 oz chorizo (Spanish sausage)
14 oz canned chopped tomatoes
14 oz can of chickpeas, drained
1 cup basmati or jasmine rice
large handful of arugula leaves
S&P
4 tbsp fresh chopped basil

(there are extra ingredients because I doubled the recipe)

1. Heat EVOO in a large pot or dutch oven. Saute onion, stir occasionally for 5 minutes.



2. Add bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, stir and cook for 2 minutes.



3. Chop chorizo in bite sized chunks (or if sausage links, break apart with wooden spoon or potato masher) and add to pot.



4. Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, and S&P. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. During this time, cook rice. 


5. Stir in arugula until it wilts. Serve over rice and top with chopped basil.

(I like arugula so I added some more on top)


(this meal turned out so pretty AND it tasted amazing!)







No comments:

Post a Comment