Monday, February 7, 2011

Chicken Curry (and it's not a Martha Recipe)

Yep, I changed it up on you guys. Contrary to what you may believe, I do have other cookbooks besides Martha Stewart. This one is from a Rachel Ray book from her 30 Minute Meals collection called "GUY FOOD." This recipe has a long name, it's called:
Sweet n' Spicy Chicken Curry in a Hurry  with Fragrant Basmati Rice

What.A.Mouthful

It was delicious and it doesn't taste like your typical curry from a restaurant so I highly recommend it!

Ingredients


2 cups of basmati rice (I used Jasmine)
1 tsp each: coriander seeds, mustard seeds and cumin
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 lbs chicken breast, diced
2-4 garlic gloves (I used 2 large ones)
1 to 2 inches of fresh ginger, peeled & minced
1 large yellow onion, chopped
1 cup of chicken broth
2 tablespoons of curry paste (I used red curry paste)

For garnishes you can use:
4 scallions, chopped
1 cup toasted coconut
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1 cup prepared mango chutney
1/4 cilantro, chopped
(I used scallions, coconut, almonds and cilantro)

1. Toast coriander and mustard seeds in the bottom of a sauce pan. When seeds pop, add water and bring to a boil. Add rice and cumin and cook according to package. 

2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and lightly brown. Add garlic, ginger, and onion and saute for 5 minutes. Add 1 cup of broth (or I added a bullion cube and 1 cup of water) and bring to a bubble. Stir in curry paste and reduce heat to medium low. Add salt to taste and simmer 5 to 10 min.

Serve rice with curry and toppings! I added a vegetable side to my meal because I'm kind of crazy about veggies and I have to have at least one with every meal or it doesn't feel like it's complete. This time I steamed some cauliflower!





You can find the original recipe on the Food Network website! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment