Monday, February 7, 2011

Super Bowl Menu: Southwest Veggie Pizza and Zucchini Fries

The roommate and I could have cared less about the game this year, honestly. However, we felt we should watch it anyways and even though it was just the two of us, we felt we needed a little party food while still trying to keep it healthy.

The pizza was a MAJOR success but I'd definitely change the way I made the zucchini fries if/when I make them again so I'll tell you how I made them and then how I'd change it!

Pizza Ingredients


1 16 oz, whole wheat pizza crust
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1 small zucchini, chopped in small pieces
1 garlic clove
1 tbsp olive oil
1 (11.5 oz) jar of black bean dip
1/2 cup pico
1 cup (4oz) shredded pepper jack cheese
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms

Zucchini Fries
3 zucchinis, cut long ways in "fry" shape
1/2 cup fine panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Vegetable Oil
Salt
(these are to FRY the zucchini pieces, the next time, I would coat the zucchini pieces and place them in the broiler until the cheese melts and the breadcrumbs brown. Instead of vegetable oil, just coat the pan in cooking spray)

1. For Zucchini: combine bread crumbs and cheese in a quart or gallon sized ziploc bag. Dip zucchini into egg and place in ziploc bag, toss to coat. To fry, place in hot vegetable oil in skillet, to roast/broil, place on pan and cook to above instructions. The reason I would choose not to fry the zucchini (other than to make it more healthy) is because the oil just kind of washed all the cheese and bread crumbs off the zucchini and soaked the zucchini in oil. I HATE MUSHY VEGGIES!!! So, I recommend broiling :)




2. For Pizza: Heat oven to 350. Place pizza crust on pizza pan or cookie sheet and bake for 5 minutes.

3. Cook carrots, zucchini, garlic and mushrooms in oil over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. 


4. Spread bean dip over pizza crust. Top with pico and veggies. Cover with cheese and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until cheese melts. 




5. Let cool, cut and serve







No comments:

Post a Comment