Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Chorizo & Shrimp Quesadillas

I have a small cookbook in my pantry called, "Guy Food," which is part of Rachel Ray's 30 minute meal collection. I can't remember the last time I used this book so I figured I'd take a peek and see what I found. Well, what I found was a yummy, easy, weekend lunch recipe or a light dinner recipe. If you have never tried Chorizo, I suggest you try it. I had it for the first time when I visited Spain after college and I was hooked! I am not a fan of sausage but I could probably eat this stuff every day. You can usually find it in your groceries meat section or in any specialty grocery store.

Ingredients
1/2 lb chorizo sausage
1 tbsp EVOO
1 crushed garlic clove
12 large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
S&P
8 6" corn tortillas
2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese (I used muenster slices because that's what I had at the time)

for the guacamole
2 ripe Haas avocados
juice from 1 lime
salt
3 rounded tbsp fat free sour cream
2 chipotle peppers in adobo (this can be found in the Mexican food section of the grocery store where all the Goya stuff is)
I also added about an 1/8 of a cup of red onions, diced and the same amount of tomatoes

You will also need a blender/food processor for this recipe and a George Foreman/Panini Press type grill would come in handy as well



Original recipe can be found here on the Food Network website. 

1. Peel and cut avocados and add to food processor along with all other guacamole ingredients to food processor and pulse until desired consistency.

2. Cook chorizo in a skillet. I found it easier to "mash" the chorizo and make it into a ground form instead of trying to slice it like the recipe calls for. It also allows for smaller pieces in the quesadilla.  Remove chorizo from pan and add EVOO and garlic. Next add shrimp and season with S&P and cook  until pink 2 or 3 min. Transfer shrimp to cutting board and chop into small pieces.



3. If you don't have a Foreman or panini press, you should look at the original recipe here for the next directions. On a heated panini press, spray with cooking spray and lay down 1 corn tortilla. Top with cheese and then add chorizo, shrimp and an additional tortilla. Press down until cheese is melted. Let cool, slice and top/dip with guacamole. 




1 comment:

  1. minus the shrimpies, YUM-O! get it? ;)

    you taught me to re-fall in love with my food processor. thanks!

    ReplyDelete