Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Slow-Cooker Spicy Buffalo Chicken Sammies

I made this recipe the day before the final play off game. It lasted for a few days which was great! I originally made it for a FAB 5 get together that didn't go off as well as planned due to some last minute incidents but I did appreciate the short amount of time I got to spend with my girls. They can tell you, this was yummy!

P.S. I'm currently using this beautiful beast in the picture below to rest my cookbooks on. He is sleeping on my bed taking up space so now he has to be a prop and help his momma with her blog! He doesn't seem to mind :)


Ok, so back to why you're here...the recipe!
Ingredients
1 tbsp EVOO
1 lb boneless, skinless, chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
S&P
1 lb boneless, skinless, chicken thighs cut into 1 inch pieces
1 medium yellow onion, diced small
3 garlic cloves, chopped or minced
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced small
1 can (14.5) oz crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup of hot sauce (I used extra HOT Frank's)
3 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp yellow mustard (I used spicy brown/yellow mustard)
1 tbsp unsulfured molasses
2 tbsp tomato paste
8 hamburger buns 

You will need a slow cooker (crock pot) and I would recommend a potato masher for this recipe


1. In a large skillet, heat oil over med-high heat. Add chicken thighs, season with S&P and cook, stirring once until meat is golden brown, 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer to slow cooker, leaving as much oil behind as possible, repeat with chicken breasts.
**Ok, I deviated, kind of a lot, from this step. First of all, as you can see from the picture, I had frozen chicken breasts and a WHOLE rotisserie chicken. I cut up and skinned the rotisserie chicken which I will post below. I cooked the dark meat, whole, in the pan until brown but I just defrosted the chicken breasts till they were only slightly frozen and then I placed it in the slow cooker. By leaving the dark meat on the bone, I was able to let it cook and just slide off the bone.**



(here you can see the browned dark meat on top of the chicken breast)

2. To skillet, add onion, garlic, and bell pepper and cook over medium, stirring constantly until onion is translucent, 6 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of water and cook, stirring and scraping up brown bits from skillet, 5 minutes. Season with S&P and transfer to slow cooker. 


3. To slow cooker, add crushed tomatoes, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire, tomato paste, mustard, and molasses. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on high until chicken is tender, 4 hours. Shred chicken (this is where you would use a masher) and add any additional seasoning (I added more hot sauce, of course), and serve on lightly toasted hamburger buns.
(all ingredients, prior to stirring, in crock pot)

I served this with the roomie's cole slaw which we didn't get pictures of. Also, I forgot to take pictures of the served meal, apparently, because I can't find them anywhere on my camera or computer. In my defense I did serve it about 5 hours after I did these initial pictures and people were over and having fun (sangria was involved). Forgive me?? 




No comments:

Post a Comment