Sunday, January 23, 2011

Bacon, Onion and Mushroom Pizza

In the newest Everyday Food magazine by Martha Stewart, there is a yummy looking recipe for Onion Focaccia. I love pizza and I love even more when I make my own pizza so I figured I would make my FAVORITE pizza which I discovered one night in college. BACON and ONION. Domino's had the 5-5-5 deal going on when I was in college so me and the roommates would come back from a night at the bar and order our own pizzas. One night, bacon and onion sounded wonderful to me and now it's my favorite! I had extra mushrooms in the fridge from some previous recipes so I decided to chop those up and put them on as well. I didn't take as many pictures as I would have liked for this but it doesn't take long at all to make and I didn't want to risk burning the crust and onions to take a few pictures of me spreading sauce on the pizza! I make my own sauce and I can't give you the recipe because I don't measure anything. I can tell you what I used and if you'd like, you can try to make it and change it based on your taste!

Ingredients for Pizza
 1 Pillsbury thin pizza crust
1 large red onion, sliced
1/4 lb button mushrooms, chopped
thyme
1 container pecorino romano cheese
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tsp red pepper flakes
4 slices of thick cut bacon

Ingredients for Sauce
1 14oz can of crushed tomatoes
6oz tomato paste
2 garlic cloves, minced
S&P
Italian seasoning
red pepper flakes
(I think that's it, but like I said, I don't measure, I just throw things together)
**if you add ingredients and it's too spicy with the red pepper flakes, you can always neutralize it with a little sugar. This sauce usually comes out pretty sweet anyways though, perfect for pizza!

1. Cook bacon to desired "crispiness" and set aside

2. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and spread out the pizza crust to fill the pan. Heat the oven to the specs stated on the pizza crust. Spread a thin layer of sauce over uncooked crust and place in oven for about 5 min.

3. Cook onions in oil until brown. Add mushrooms and cider vinegar. 

4. Add remainder of sauce to pizza crust, top with cheese, onions and mushrooms and bake until crust is cooked, about 10 more min, and golden brown. Remove from oven and crumble bacon on top of pizza. Let the cheese settle, about 5 min. Slice and serve!

(I had to add a salad! Romaine, shredded carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, S&P and vidalia onion dressing)




No comments:

Post a Comment