Sunday, January 23, 2011

Salmon with Horseradish Mashed Potatoes and Grilled Red Onions

For this dish, I merged 2 recipes together. The first was originally salmon with potatoes and red onions and the other was horseradish whipped potatoes. This meal wound up being really light and not taking much time to cook at all because I used baby red potatoes that only had to be sliced in half before boiling. Because I didn't peel them, I saved a lot of time. Honestly, the longest part of this recipe was probably just mixing the ingredients in the potatoes. I'll try and do my best to merge the recipes :)


Ingredients
 2 small red onions, quartered, leaving root ends intact
S&P
1lb small red potates
8 sprigs of thyme
salmon fillets
1/2 cup skim milk
2-4 tbsp butter
2 tbsp horseradish
2 tbsp fat-free sour cream

**If you want to make the original recipes, then follow the links above for the full list of ingredients and the instructions. I know in the picture I have chicken broth but I wound up not using it in my recipe. Below I'll list the directions for what I made...

1. Set oven to broil and bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Slice in 1/2 or 1/4 the red potatoes and add to pot. Season salmon with S&P and top with thyme, place in broiler for about 6-7 min depending on the thickness. 

(cooked potatoes in the mixing bowl)
  

2. In a small skillet, heat oil and add onions. Cook until golden brown on the sides. Add thyme to pan. 


3. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter until the butter melts. Transfer cooked potatoes to a mixing bowl and pour milk and butter over potatoes. Season with S&P and mash/mix lightly. Add in horseradish and sour cream to desired taste and continue to mash/mix potatoes to desired consistency. 









No comments:

Post a Comment