Sunday, January 23, 2011

Un Italiano Poco: Pasta e Fagioli

I made this the other day and I don't think that I changed anything to make the taste of this different. I did use pasta shells instead of ditalini, like the recipe called for. This is a really good, hearty, stew-like meal and you can change the consistency to make it more like soup if you prefer.

Ingredients
2 tbsp EVOO
3 celery stalks, diced medium
2 carrots, diced medium
1 small red onion, chopped
2 minced garlic cloves
S&P
1 sprig oregano (I just used dried)
1 28oz can diced tomatoes
2 1/2 cups low sodium veg broth (I used chicken broth b/c that's what I had)
1/4 cup shredded parmesan
1 cup small pasta (I used more since I used larger pasta, I think it wound up being 4c for the shells)
1 can (15.5oz) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
**I added chopped mushrooms as well**



1. In a heavy pot, heat oil over medium. Add celery, carrots, onion, mushrooms and garlic. Season with S&P. Cook, stirring occasionally until veggies are soft, about 9 min. 


2. Add oregano, tomatoes and broth. Increase heat to high and simmer until liquid thickens slightly, about 5 min. 


3. Add pasta and cook until tender, 10 to 15 min. Add beans and cook until warmed through, about 3 more min. To serve, sprinkle with parmesan cheese.





No comments:

Post a Comment