Sunday, January 16, 2011

Farm Stand Buttermilk Donuts

I am partial to my eggs and bagels on weekend mornings. Actually, I did have 2 eggs with a slice of muenster over 1/2 of a toasted everything bagel before the gym this morning. Then, I came home to check some of the blogs I follow and found this donut recipe. I remember making donuts a couple times with my mom and sister when I was little...probably for girl scouts or something. I ran through the ingredient list and when I realized I had everything, I figured I might as well try! Here goes nothin'! 
Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 large eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and slightly browned and cooled
Vegetable oil for frying

**NOTE: I did not have buttermilk but I looked up substitutes online and you can put 1 tbsp of lemon juice in a 1 cup measuring cup and fill the rest of the cup with milk, let stand for 5 min. 

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. 
2. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk, and sour cream until combined.  Add the melted, cooled butter and whisk again.
3. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour the liquid ingredients into the well.  With a rubber spatula, slowly fold the flour into the liquid center until the mixture forms a sticky dough.



4. Prepare a plate or parchment paper with flour. I grabbed small handfuls of dough, turned in the flour on the plate and rolled them with my hands into long thick "pretzel stick" shapes and then i pressed the edges together. (This way you don't need to use circular cookie cutters)
Chill the dough while you heat the oil.

5. Pour enough oil into a deep skillet to make a layer approximately 1 inch to 1 1/2 inches deep.  Slowly heat the oil over med-high heat. Then, gently place 2 or 3 donuts in the oil and fry on each side for 2-3 min. Pull out of oil and sprinkle with or toss in a cinnamon sugar mixture. Donuts should be a thick, cake-like texture when you bite into them.




(Not only did they look pretty, they got great reviews from the roomie!)

All in all, I'd say my impromptu donut making was a success! 

No comments:

Post a Comment