Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Mushroom and Black Bean Tortilla Casserole

Like I posted earlier, I didn't think out the whole, "what to make for dinner this week," thing before I decided to do the blog so I had to scrounge up what I had at the house and find a recipe. It just so happened that based on most of the food I had at home (minus extra cheese and mushrooms that I picked up on the way home) could make the recipe for tonight. This is also a new recipe from the Martha Stewart Everyday Food magazine like the pork recipe last night so I can't provide a link but I will annotate what I added/subtracted.

Ingredients:
2 teaspoons olive oil
3/4lb of creminini or button mushrooms (a container and 1/2)
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cayenne pepper
S&P
1 can (15.5oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
8 corn tortillas, halved
2 cups salsa
1 1/4 cups (4oz) shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
**I also added chili powder and queso fresca (I didn't use the full amount of monterey jack) AND the ingredients didn't say cilantro but the picture of the finished recipe showed chopped cilantro on it, so you know I added it because it's one of my favorite things!**


1. Preheat oven to 400. In a large skillet, heat oil over med high. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until browned, 7 min. Add garlic and cayenne; season with S&P. Add black beans and stir to combine. Cook until beans are warmed through, 2 min. Remove from heat. 


2. Arrange 5 tortilla halves in a 2 quart baking dish. Top with half the bean mixture and 1/2 cup salsa, then sprinkle with one-third of the cheese. Repeat with another layer of tortilla halves, bean mixture, salsa and cheese. Top with remaining tortilla halves, salsa and cheese. Cover with foil and bake until cheese melts (10 min). Uncover and bake for an additional 5 min until cheese bubbles. 





I had leftover pork from the night before so I heated the pork and topped it with this dish. I also have leftover rice from last night so for lunch tomorrow I'm having jasmine rice with this yummy meal! The great thing about making a dish with 4 servings when only 2 people live in the house, you always have leftovers for lunch the next day. Then, everyone at work can be jealous of your great food! 


No comments:

Post a Comment