Sunday, January 23, 2011

Parmesan Chicken with Mushrooms and Brussels Sprouts

Ewwww! Brussels Sprouts! That's what I used to say until a couple months ago. I had never had them before, mostly because every time I saw them, they were steamed and looked mushy and gross. In November when I went to Chicago to visit the boyfriend's family for Thanksgiving, his sister, who is actually a professional chef, roasted brussels sprouts and they were DELICIOUS. You can pretty much give me anything that's been roasted in a little EVOO and S&P and I'll probably eat it :) I LOVE roasted veggies!

This is also a recipe out of the newest version of Everyday Food so I can't link it yet but I didn't really change anything in the recipe so I'll just write it straight out of the book, just for you! This meal is also a pretty quick, easy, 30 min meal.

Ingredients
1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 1/2lbs chicken tenders
2 tbsp EVOO
1 tsp dried thyme
3/4lb button mushrooms (trimmed and sliced in 1/2 or quarters....if they weren't already sliced in the package)
3/4 lb brussels sprouts, sliced in half (I just used a whole stem that I picked up in the veggie section of the grocery store)
(in case you aren't sure what they look like, this is brussels sprouts on the stem. picture courtesy of All About Gardening)

1. Preheat oven to 450 with racks in lower and upper thirds. In a small bowl, mix panko bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. In a large/gallon sized ziploc bag, toss chicken, 1tsp oil and thyme until covered, then lay out in a 9x13 baking dish. (My 9x13 was in use so I modified and used two 8x8 dishes)
2. Arrange chicken in single layer and sprinkle on the top with the panko/cheese mixture. Place in oven on the upper rack for 10 min. After 10 min, flip the chicken and sprinkle the rest of the panko/cheese mixture and continue to cook for an additional 5-10 min until chicken is cooked through. 

3. In the meantime, toss brussels sprouts and mushrooms in a large bag with oil. Lay in a single layer on a baking pan and season with S&P. 



4. Roast on lower rack for 20 min until golden brown and tender. Serve with chicken. 


No comments:

Post a Comment